Frequently Asked Questions
Set Up Faving
- Q: Why should I use Faves? back to top
- A: Do it for your friends! They need you! Seriously, you're probably knowledgeable in some space that can help your friends out. Do they call you for dining suggestions? Maybe you're the one that knows the local music scene. Maybe you're the one hoarding all the good recipes. The more you Fave in those subject areas, the more that knowledge is widely available. Faving for yourself is great too. How many times have you wanted to flag an article on a web page for later reading and then forgotten the specifics of how to get back? How many times have you shopped across multiple online stores and forgotten the one that had a killer closeout on the muumuu you really wanted? It happens. Faves can get you back to where you need to go.
- Q: What is a Fave? back to top
- A: A Fave is a really smart and lightweight way for you to find, share and discover things on the web. As you browse the internet and find anything of interest, you merely click a button we put into your browser and the appropriate Fave gets created. As time goes on, you collect a bunch of these Faves and they become a shared, organized, searchable view of your interests -- a highly specialized guide to the internet which you create yourself and with your friends. While you don't have to do any work while Faving if you don't want to, you do have the option of adding your own comments to Faves, rating them and adding your own searchable keywords. It's fun, I swear. Either way, we're sure the more you create Faves, the more indispensable you'll find them.
- Q: What are Tags and how do I use them? back to top
- A: Tags are simple (usually single word) categories you can assign to your Faves. They are a great way of helping you (and others) navigate to Faves that have been created. If you were tagging a book by one of your favorite authors, you might tag it with the author's name and the type of book it is. This will help others looking for information on that author or more generally when they are looking for books like the one you tagged. At Faves, you can add tags to your Faves at the time you create them or when you edit them. You can put a bunch of them on a Fave, just separate each tag with a comma.
- Q: What is the difference between Faving for "Me," "Friends," and "Everyone"? back to top
- A: A Fave for "Me" is exactly as it sounds - for your eyes only. If you mark a Fave to be shared with "Me", it will only be visible to you while you are logged into your account. A Fave for "Friends" can be viewed by anyone in your Friend List. A Fave for "Everyone" is available publicly.
- Q: How do I edit or delete a Fave? back to top
- A: This is an easy one. Find the Fave on our site (I usually go to "My Faves" and search for it from there). "Edit" and "delete" options are available on any Fave you have created. Look in the upper right-hand corner of your Fave: click the pencil icon to edit or the "x" icon to delete.
- Q: Can I Fave anything? back to top
- A: Well, "anything" is a pretty big word You can Fave nearly everything on the web, and we think that's a pretty good start. If you Fave secure pages from inside a password-protected site (like your banking site), you will find that it either does not work or that you are forced to login whenever you click the link from your Fave. This depends on how the site has implemented their links. Outside of that, you will find that nearly all web pages can be Faved.
- Q: Why is "Email This!" only available on some Faves? back to top
- A: The "Email This!" feature is currently only enabled for your own Faves. If you want to email a Fave that is not your own, click "Fave It!" first, and then email it.
- Q: How do I Fave? back to top
- A: Easy as pie. You click one button to create a Fave, and then another to publish. To get set up for Faving, just go to the Set Up Faving page and follow the instructions for your browser. Once you're set up, you just click "Fave It!" whenever you're visiting a web page you would like to Fave. A dialog will appear for you to add any information you would like (we'll try and populate as much of it as possible for you). When you're done, just click "Publish". We created a page with images to show you all about creating Faves.
- Q: Can I Fave without installing the toolbar or bookmarks? back to top
- A: You sure can, it's just a little more "old school". On the "My Account" page of the site, there is a link to "Fave from Anywhere". This works great on most handhelds and can be used when you're using a computer that does not belong to you and don't want to install a toolbar or save bookmarks to the machine.
- Q: What browsers do you support? back to top
- A: Faves currently supports Internet Explorer (version 6.0 and above) and Firefox (version 1.0 and above) and Safari 2. While we don't overtly support other browsers, you may find that they work.
- Q: I installed the Toolbar for Internet Explorer, but I can't see it! Why? back to top
- A: To display the Faves Toolbar: Go to View > Toolbars > Make sure that "Faves Toolbar" is checked. If you don't see "Faves Toolbar" available, please follow the instructions to get set up Faving again.
- Q: Sometimes when I Fave, the "Fave It!" form displays on a separate blank page. Why? back to top
- A: While it doesn't stop you from Faving, this can happen for one of the following reasons:
Often the connection difficulties are intermittent, so it is often worth just trying to publish the Fave again. Click Back in your browser and then click the "Publish" button again.
- Connection difficulties
- Certain sites do not work well with the "Fave It!" form.