- About Me :
- I'm a Jersey girl, a freelance writer, and a Web editor/producer. Here's a look at some of my writing: http://www.shiwani.net/.
And here's a link to my blog, which is about being new to Seattle:
- Location :
- Total Tags :
- 634 Tags
- Last Faved :
- Aug 23 2011
- shiwani | Shared With: Everyone - Aug 23 2011
- shiwani | Shared With: Everyone - Aug 22 2011 | news, science, space
- shiwani | Shared With: Everyone - Aug 15 2011 | news, politics, economy, warren buffett
- The Makeni Children: Americans adopted 29 children from Sierra Leone in 1998. Their birth families say they were stolen - Slate Magazineshiwani | Shared With: Everyone - Aug 10 2011 | adoption, children, world, news
There's definitely a growing debate around international adoption. There's been reports out of China that children are stolen from the government and sold to adoption agencies since Western parents can pay hefty fees... but on the flipside, India's adoption policies are so rigid, the girls there often go unadopted.
Quoted: The Mosleys say that their adoption agency, Maine Adoption Placement Services, told them that in the months after Samuel's birth parents signed him away but before Samuel's adoption, his orphanage's caretakers had taken their charges and fled to the hills, where they ate grass, drank from streams, and dodged drug-addled child soldiers armed with guns and machetes.
- Amazon.com: Twain's Feast: Searching for America's Lost Foods in the Footsteps of Samuel Clemens (9781594202599): Andrew Beahrs: Booksshiwani | Shared With: Everyone - Aug 08 2011 | food, books
- shiwani | Shared With: Everyone - Aug 03 2011 | health, age, lifestyle
- Salman Khan, founder of Khan Academy, is revolutionizing how kids learn math and science. - Slate Magazineshiwani | Shared With: Everyone - Aug 02 2011 | entrepreneur, math, science, education
What a fantastic story. (By the way, this is NOT Salman Khan, Bollywood star...)
Quoted: Back in 2004, Khan was a 28-year-old hedge-fund manager in Silicon Valley looking for a way to help his cousin with her seventh-grade math homework. His solution: use Yahoo Messenger's Doodle feature to illustrate his points as he talked to her on the phone.
- shiwani | Shared With: Everyone - Jul 29 2011 | news, politics, debt, u.s., economy
Really well said. My favorite quote: I joked long ago that if one party declared that the earth was flat, the headlines would read “Views Differ on Shape of Planet.”
Quoted: The facts of the crisis over the debt ceiling aren’t complicated. Republicans have, in effect, taken America hostage, threatening to undermine the economy and disrupt the essential business of government unless they get policy concessions they would never have been able to enact through legislation.
- shiwani | Shared With: Everyone - Jul 28 2011 | crime, new york, news
What a crazy story! I can't believe police would go solely on witness testimony and not even look into her alibis...
Quoted: Sumasar, 36, served seven months in prison, the victim of what prosecutors say was an elaborate plot by her former boyfriend, Jerry Ramrattan, to frame her for bogus armed robberies.
- shiwani | Shared With: Everyone - Jul 27 2011 | business, food, health, chidlren, news